February 2010

>> Monday, March 01, 2010

I carefully wrapped the china

feeling its cold weight in my hands
in my favorite blanket,
the one with the jaipuri print
also my red stilettos

One by one it all went into the box
to be donated the next day

I sat sorting the pile of papers
for some important bill or a letter from you maybe?
as they came and took away the furniture
there muddy boots all over my sterilized carpet
I cringed, you held me back, "let them" you said.

The little green box on the book shelf now lay on the floor
with wine corks from our date nights, doodled paper napkins.

I dragged myself into the kitchen,
cleared the shelves, the strong sweet aromas of the masalas stayed.
emptied my barnis of dals - big small green and yellow.
tossed the turmeric stained washcloth
packed the devara and my little gods in your mom's old saree.

gently pulled down the Toran from the front door
and once again I held your hand, and moved on...


Jaipuri- from the region around Jaipur, India
Masala- spices(Indian)
Barni- large glass jars used to store dried beans, lentils etc.
Devara- A small temple structure to house idols of gods. (Marathi)
Toran- A decoration hung above entrance door to a house, meant to bring good luck.



6 comments:

Kadu,  11:03 PM  

You brought back June and July 2008 for me. I enjoy your writing.

Vani 12:55 AM  

Thanks Kadu!

Moving out of Atlanta was not easy- the last week saw emotional highs and lows like never before..

Now sitting in my hotel room in Hong Kong I can only smile back..as life goes on..:)

Swati 1:18 AM  

reminds me of my moving days :).

CAR 6:07 AM  

You are in HK now? wow.. big move. Good luck. I hate moving but I do love finding myself in strange surroundings post move :-)

Manu 12:07 AM  

you write very well Vani....

barkha 6:21 PM  

I really miss India, living here in Los Angeles. Your blog makes me feel so good. Your writing style is so aesthetic. I really enjoyed your blog!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP