Weekend Brunch-Toad in the Hole

>> Sunday, April 08, 2007

This recipe is a prefect solution to our weekend brunch crisis when there is nothing substantial remaining in the fridge except the box of eggs, and also when I am too lazy to prepare anything elaborate. Otherwise also I love eggs for breakfast. I learned this recipe from my dear friend Ellen and found a very interesting alternative to omelettes and boiled eggs. Chirayu mastered this recipe long before I did( He is just so much more patient than I am).Its a very quick and easy no mess recipe and does not even require any utensils other than the frying pan. (whoaa! No pots, knives or cutting board)

Here is how to make it:
Take a bread slice and carve out a hole in the middle. ( I use a small katori/vati with sharp edges).Heat some butter in a pan and fry the bread slice till golden brown. Now crack open an egg in the central hole.It looks like one small floating yellow toad :)



Season with salt, pepper and red chilli powder. Let the bread and egg cook properly on a low flame. Whenever I tried to make this in a haste,the yellow remained uncooked. Now I have learned to be patient while cooking:).Once one side is properly cooked and the bread and egg are firmly set together, flip the slice.

Meanwhile also fry the bread hole till golden brown. (In the original recipe you just discard these bread circles, but I hate wasting food and found a better use for these). When both sides of the bread are cooked and set,top it with a slice of cheese and the golden brown bread circle. This is how it looks when done. (Here served with tomato ketchup and spicy potato chips).
Ah! a perfect start for my weekend :)

7 comments:

Nupur 3:20 PM  

So delicious! A perfect kid-at-heart breakfast!

hopelessbliss 3:49 PM  

Hi Vani, you already have a great start to your food blog! Are you a Maharashtrian too? If so, then I would love to see some Marathi cuisine featured on your blog.
Happy blogging!

Aarjav Trivedi 7:29 PM  

Such a horrible name for such a cool dish. I hereby rename it Eggs Geometric (mix a circle, a square and an engineer and that's what you get :)

Asha 7:22 AM  

Ah..! Traditional British breakfast!:))Looks great Vani.

Cardamom 12:53 PM  

A Brit classic...Looks really good, Must make it for my kids!

trupti

lokesh 12:46 AM  

coool recipe vani! Will try it myself sometime. Keep posting.

Btw, about a month back or so, I had cooked keema pulavo... & once checken do pyazza...bahut yummy bana tha...pity u r veg..else wud have posted it here ;-)

M thinking of cooking Balti Chole tomorrow. It's a different style of cooking chole..very tangy & a little spicy. Will post recipe & snaps if i manage to cook it!! :D

sumukh 1:40 AM  

This toad is quiet tasty :)...
can vouch for it ...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP